Addressing a major limitation with managing family file content with the Revit interface, Digital Building Solutions has released a beta of a program called Content Highway.
Direct from the website http://www.digitalbuildingsolutions.com/content_highway_about.html:
Content Highway Desktop is a content management solution for Autodesk Revit that allows you to manage Revit family (RFA) files on your computer and optionally publish them to Content Highway Web for sharing and collaboration. Key features are:
- manage Revit families on your computer and network
- publish your families to the internet for communal sharing
- simultaneous grid and thumbnail dualview
- dynamic resizing of thumbnails using a slider
- find families using instantaneous "search as you type" methods
- assign and edit family properties
- sort families by any number of fields, including Supplier, Uniformat, Masterformat, Path, Filename, Cost, etc.
- associate custom images to families
- associate multiple URLs to families
- create URL 'thumbshots'
- link Suppliers products to families
- create local Suppliers list
- classification by Revit Category, Supplier, Uniformat, Masterformat 95, Masterformat 04
- drag drop families into Revit
- type catalog editor
- manage types from catalog files (coming later)
- manage types from Revit (RVT) project files (coming later)
Visit the beta download site at: http://www.digitalbuildingsolutions.com/ContentHighwayRegistration.aspx